Monday, May 28, 2012

Rachel's wedding quilt - wonky log cabins

Ok, I finished this one a while ago but I don't know where the time goes, I just haven't gotten around to writing a blog post! slack!!! Sometimes too, I have such limited 'free' time that when I do get some, I hit the sewing machine! I'm hoping one day the blog will write itself....

This quilt was made for my lovely cousin Rachel for her wedding present, I can't claim all the credit, it was a collaboration with my sister (she is my 'sewing guru'), we worked out the design and colour scheme together, raided our fabric collections and split the fabric, and we each made 15 wonky log cabin blocks each. I added the sashing, it's just a plain cotton calico. Each block was 10.5 inches finished, sashing 2 inches wide, and the finished quilt is about 60 inches x 70 inches.



Looks pretty great on our bed! This made me really wish I could keep it....Claudia liked it too.




The back is a plain solid with a strip of leftover scraps.




We had it machine quilted by a pro, it was the first time I've EVER had a quilt quilted by someone else, it was just too big for my machine. I do love the finish, although it does mean the detail of the fabrics don't stand out as much, if you know what I mean. What I also loved about it was not having to baste, hurrah!




I also did a sneaky little embroidery, the date of the wedding (yes, over a month ago!!!):


I hope she and her new husband love it. The thing I absolutely love about quilts is that they are potential heirlooms, if you look after them, they'll last forever. There's a lot of love in this quilt. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment