Monday, October 1, 2012

Blue triangles - a single bed quilt for Claudia

I can't for the life of me seem to come up with decent names for my quilts! So 'blue triangles' it is I'm afraid.

I did finish this one a while ago, but have been away on holidays for a month (and suffered from phd - post holiday depression) so it's taken me a while to get back on the blog. Had to give myself a swift kick up the proverbial.

So, to the quilt, my little girl recently moved into her big girl bed (a king single), and while I've made quilts for her bed previously, I thought a special new one would ease the transition into the new bed (any excuse for a new quilting project!). She loves blue, so I pulled out all my blues and scraps (and some that just have blue in them) and cut my own 5 inch charm squares. I had a couple of packets of pre-cut white charm squares (handy), and I'll admit, all those half square triangles did take quite a while, and yep, got pretty tedious towards the end! Plus I decided to trim every single one, which is really not like me to be that fussy, but I really wanted this one to be perfect (it's not, but it's about as good as it gets for me!).


It's about 80 inches x 57 inches, not as big as a single doona, but it sits perfectly on top. One of these days I'll take a photo of it in her actual bed.


The quilting is just simple straight lines and diagonals.



The backing is mainly Sarah Jane pinwheels, I used some of the leftover HST's to make a zigzag strip, and paired it with some natural linen and a strip of Jay Cyn for Birch Fabric's organic line, also bound it with this fabric, I love the look of the coral with the blues and white. Coral is my new favourite colour (last week it was yellow….). I do love the back, I'm always glad when I put in a bit of effort and do a pieced back.



The transition into the bed wasn't nearly as painful as I imagined! thanks to the quilt, I'm sure.

In other news, I am soon to be the proud owner of a Bernina 550QE, I don't know much about it admittedly, but I do know it has a stitch length regulator, and I cannot WAIT to try my hand at free motion quilting. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Cath, well worth all the extra effort. I can see Claudia snuggling with this quilt for a very long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the back of this quilt! (The front is gorgeous too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shontelle! I love the back too….possibly my favourite back ever (of my own that is, I always have quilt back envy of other people's quilts).

      Delete
  3. I love it while reading this blog. lots of information is available in this blog.
    Express Bedz

    ReplyDelete