Sunday, October 14, 2012

Minty coral random strip quilt

I love making baby quilts!! definitely my favourite, you know they'll be well used and well loved, you can have a bit of fun with the prints and colours, and they're small enough that I don't get sick of them well before they're finished. And they're pretty easy to quilt on my fairly small Janome. Wins all round!

This one was a commission/gift (I traded the quilt for a month of house sitting! Good deal I think). It's going to a new baby girl. The colours were an easy choice, my two current favourites - mint and coral. And they look so good together.


I'd planned to do a simple strip quilt, but felt like a bit more of a challenge (and was inspired by this Film in the Fridge quilt), so I cut my fabrics into 2, 3 and 4 inch wide strips. Then I built the quilt as I went, you could make it a lot faster if you just sewed random bits together, but I wanted to make sure I had a good spread of prints and colours (not all that easy with a fairly limited colour palette like this). The finished quilt is about 40 inches by 40 inches.


I did simple straight line quilting. The fabrics include a few newbies and a few oldies. I found it REALLY hard to source fabrics in a true mint colour, most are more turquoise unfortunately. The Lizzy House butterfly fabric is the closest I could find, although it's hard to see in the photos. There's a couple of other Lizzy House prints, as well as Monsterz by Michele Brummer Everett for Cloud 9 (love these prints!), and a few stashed oldies such as prints from Moda Bliss, It's a Hoot and City Weekend. Also a few coordinating solids (some Kona, some Spotlight).


For the back I used a few leftover strips (I actually ended up with a LOT of leftovers, enough for another quilt!), some natural linen and mint solid. The binding is a fine stripe mint and white.


All bundled up and ready to go!


5 comments:

  1. Your quilt is lovely. I'm such a fan of straight line quilting! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deborah! I really love straight line quilting too (although hoping to soon be trying out a bit of free motion too, but I'll always love straight lines).

      Delete
  2. Lovely colour palette and design. I've just finished a strip quilt top but am now wishing I'd seen this first. Ahh! Next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, that looks difficult haha.. I really want to sew a quilt, but I am still fairly new to sewing.. and don't even know the terms yet :) Eep!

    http://becstiches.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful! I'm making a matching pair for my kid's room for Christmas. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete