Then my lovely friend Caity over at Thomhaus blogged this absolutely gorgeous Sherbet Pips quilt and it spurred me on to finally make one myself (and temporarily ditch the other quilt I've just started on....). Caity gave me a few tips on putting it together earlier this week and I got my fabrics together (discovered a great bundle of blue solid fat quarters at Spotlight, who would've thought), then Claudia came down with gastro (god isn't that just one of the joys of parenting!!) so I've had a lot of time at home in the last couple of days in between changing crappy nappies. Here's where I'm up to so far and how I've gone about putting it together:
First I cut up all my fat quarters and a few other solids I had into 3 inch squares. There are 8 different colours or shades. I had no idea how big the quilt would be at that stage, just thought I'd see how big it ended up!
Then I lay all my squares out on the floor (after Claudia went to bed - definitely not a task for when there's a toddler galloping around the house) and worked out my layout, like this:
Then I numbered all my rows with sticky tape (it's ended up being 19 x 19 squares), and bundled them up into piles ready to sew.
I've been piecing one row at a time, and putting the quilt together as I go, rather than my usual technique of sewing ALL of the rows, then sewing the rows together. I like it, I get a bit of gratification as I go along and I'm liking how it's looking so far.
Here's where I'm up to:
Apologies for the crappy photos - taken at night with a flash