Sunday, January 15, 2012

Baby boy quilt - first 2012 finish!

I can't believe how long it's been since I last blogged, I don't even know what happened! I think it was being away in November on Holiday, followed by Claudia's 2nd birthday, then Christmas, the last bit of 2011 got away from me! Not much time for sewing. Although I have been plugging away at my interlocking cross quilt, hopefully that'll be my next finish.

But the imminent arrival of my good friend Anna's baby boy meant I had to get cracking on a baby quilt (and the baby shower is this Sunday!). Nothing like a deadline to get you motivated.

I wanted to use oranges, greys and blues and managed to source most of the fabrics from my stash (love that!). I needed something relatively quick due to limited time, so settled on Cluck Cluck Sew's Easy Bake pattern, which I've used before.

Ran it past my sewing girls today and they all gave it the thumbs up, hope Anna likes it!



I don't normally do pieced backs, not that I don't love them, I do! and admire other people's fancy backs and wish I had the patience to do it (usually I am just busting to finish the quilt and can't be bothered mucking around with the back). But this time I had some leftover blocks (originally planned a rectangle quilt, then changed my mind and made the square), perfect for a strip for the backing. The only trouble I found was quilting it, there's no way I could've perfectly lined up the back to match the front, so the quilting lines are kind of off on the back. Looks okay regardless, I don't know how others do this though??


Nice to have a finished quilt early in 2012, hopefully this bodes well for a productive sewing year ahead....I have a few projects cooking, and started cutting out a dress for Claudia today (a winter one! hey at least I'll have plenty of time to finish it).

3 comments:

  1. Cath - its beautiful!!!! Ive been waiting in anticipation to see what you would be showing next! Agree with the backing too - i have no idea how to get the blocks to align - so i don't even bother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt back looks great...I usually have leftover fabric from the front and not enough of the backing...and so do many by default. Lining them up is tricky but gets easier with practice. You did very well. Love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, I'm having another go with a pieced back on my latest quilt, worked out a bit better, so I think you're right, practice is the key!

      Delete